The Carolina Panthers trade for Sam Darnold in return for a 2021 sixth-round pick and second fourth-round pick in 2022, ESPN reports.
The Panthers had been looking to upgrade from quarterback Teddy Bridgewater since the end of last season. Carolina had offered Bridgewater to the Detroit Lions for Matthew Stafford, however that deal did not fall through. Also, the Panthers had their eyes on Deshaun Watson, league sources say, before the Houston Texans quarterback was accused of sexual assault and inappropriate behavior in multiple different lawsuits.
In three seasons with the Jets, Darnold went 13-25 as a starter, with 45 touchdown passes and 39 interceptions. He completed 59.8% of his passes and never finished above 26th in passer rating.
He finished as the NFL’s lowest-rated passer in 2020 (72.7), 36th out of 36 qualifying quarterbacks. His career passer rating is 78.6, which ranks 39th out of 39 since 2018.
What are your thoughts on this trade?
9 Super Bowl Commercials That Made Up For The Panthers’ Disappointing Loss
1.Source: 1 of 9
2. Pepsi: Joy Of PepsiSource: 2 of 9
3. Doritos: UltrasoundSource: 3 of 9
4. Budweiser: Simply PutSource: 4 of 9
5. Campbell’s: This One’s For MomSource: 5 of 9
6. Colgate: Every Drop CountsSource: 6 of 9
7. NFL: Super Bowl BabiesSource: 7 of 9
8. T-Mobile: Restricted BlingSource: 8 of 9
9. Pantene: Strong Is BeautifulSource: 9 of 9
- Julian Edelman retires from NFL after 12 seasons
- Former Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid charged with DWI
- Hornets’ Miles Bridges throws down monster slam on Hawks defender
- On this day in 2013: Kobe Bryant tore his Achilles, then knocks down 2 clutch free throws
- Hideki Matsuyama wins 2021 Masters, first Japanese major champion
- Did he touch the plate? Braves fall to Phillies after controversial replay review upheld
- TV Analyst Brian Jordan on Braves early season story lines
- Francisco Lindor becomes first Puerto Rican MLB player with signature shoe
- Jorge Lendeborg Jr. & Tosin Cole In Talks To Star In LeBron James ‘House Party’ Reboot
- Multiple teams interested in trading for Teddy Bridgewater