According to AP News, Charlotte Hornets General Manager says star rookie could make a return this season after having surgery to repair injured wrist.
Hornets general manager Mitch Kupchak is not ruling out LaMelo Ball returning this season.
Kupchak said the rookie point guard will be re-evaluated in “four or five weeks” after fracturing his right wrist on March 20.
AP News says if Ball is revaluated in five weeks on April 27 the Hornets would have about three weeks remaining before the end of the regular season on May 16. Charlotte are currently are fourth in the Eastern Conference, so the season could stretch into late May and beyond.
Kupchak confirmed that the Hornets initially ruled Ball’s injury season-ending, but an MRI later revealed more details and he could possibly return.
“What (the surgery) doesn’t do is preclude him from coming back this season,” Kupchak said.
While nothing is final, the Hornets say they will remain patient. It is unclear how quickly Melo’s wrist will heal and how long it would take for him to return to basketball shape.
“We have to wait,” Kupchak said. “He’s casted. We’ll wait until five weeks. And we’ll evaluate where we are as a team at that time.”
Kupchak made it clear the Hornets aren’t going to rush him back if he’s not ready.
“What we’re not going to do is put his health in jeopardy,” Kupchak said.
- First Round Highlights and Blockbuster Trades: 2021 NBA Draft Night Results
- New Orleans Pelican Jaxson Hayes Arrested After Alleged Brawl With Police
- Former NFL Defensive Back T.J. Ward Blasted On Social Media After Attacking Ron Rivera For Having Cancer
- Simone Biles out of Olympic gymnastics team competition in Tokyo
- LeBron James Is Now The First Active Athlete To Earn $1 Billion
- Cleveland Indians announce new team name
- Giannis Antetokounmpo Credits Kobe Bryant’s “Challenge” For Bucks Winning NBA Championship
- Zach LaVine Not On Team USA Flight To Tokyo After Being Placed In Health & Safety Protocols
- NBA Finals: Bucks, Giannis look to close out Suns in Game 6
- U.S. Tennis Star Coco Gauff Pulls Out of Tokyo Olympics After Testing Postive For COVID-19