During NBA Countdown on Mother’s Day, the ESPN crew paid tribute to Jalen Rose’s mother who passed earlier this year.
Rose was overcome with emotions as he was brought to tears as he spoke about his mother.
“This is the first time in my life that I didn’t have my mother or grandmother on Mother’s Day,” Rose said. “It’s been tough, for me and my family, but I’m gonna be strong. I got a lot of people who rely on me, a lot of people who love me, lot of people who believe in me.”
As Rose breaks down his college Maria Taylor walks over to console him, placing her hand on his shoulder.
“She had two kids when she graduated from high school. We were supposed to be a statistic,” Rose said. “It’s really tough, I’m just happy that the name Jalen is going to carry our legacy, carry her legacy.”
Rose’s mother Jeanne Rose passed away in February of lung cancer at the age of 79.
The former NBA player detailed how his mother created the name. “Jalen” is a combination of his father’s name James and maternal uncle Leonard. According to BabyNames.com, she was the creator of the name and it became popular after Rose became a star player at Michigan State.
- EXCLUSIVE: Makur Maker Has No Regrets About His Decision To Go To Howard & Is Still Betting On “The Long Game”
- White Sox’s Tim Anderson Accuses Yankees Josh Donaldson of Making A “Racist” Remark
- Former NFL Superstar Michael Vick Reportedly Is Coming Out of Retirement
- The Warm Up: J. Cole Signs With Scarborough Shooting Stars of the Canadian Elite Basketball League
- Deion Sanders Responds To Nick Saban Accusing Jackson State Of Paying $1 Million To Top Recruit
- Lil Wayne Responds To Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban, “Don’t Make Me Get U Smacked Boy”
- Charlotte Hornets Will Pick 13th And 15th in 2022 NBA Draft
- Lil Wayne Reveals Blow up That Went Down Between Phoenix Suns Coach Monty Williams and Deandre Ayton
- Dallas Mavericks’ Owner Mark Cuban Cleverly Trash Talks Lil Wayne After Rapper Calls Luka Doncic A “Ho”
- Matt Barnes Is Not Here For Pat Beverley’s Disrespect of Chris Paul, Tells Him “You’re Not That Guy”